With the final week of the regular season on the horizon, here are playoff scenarios for each region that still has spots up for grabs in the 865 Preps coverage area, as well as notes on region championships that will be decided Friday.
The top four teams in each Division-I region make the playoffs, while the top six in Division II-A and the top five in the East Region of Division II-AA will reach the postseason. Region standings can be found here.
- Farragut can win the region with a victory over Hardin Valley on Thursday and a Dobyns-Bennett loss to Jefferson County on Friday.
- Bearden clinches the fourth seed with a victory over Morristown West.
- Hardin Valley advances to the postseason with a win over Farragut and a Bearden loss to Morristown West.
- Maryville hosts Bradley Central in a matchup that decides the region champion.
- Heritage hosts Ooltewah for the final playoff spot in the region.
- Halls, South-Doyle, Gibbs and Sevier County can each win the region title. The different scenarios that lead to each earning the top seed are as followed:
- The Red Devils can prevent any tiebreaker scenario with a victory over winless Seymour.
- The Cherokees win the region if Halls and Gibbs both lose.
- If the Eagles beat Knox Central and Halls loses, they win the region because they would own the best overall record, thus putting them atop any tiebreaker scenario.
- The Smoky Bears can take the region title with a victory over Carter and loses by each of the other three teams, winning the overall record tiebreaker, but a head-to-head victory against South-Doyle also gives them the region in the event of a three-way tie with Halls and the Cherokees.
- Sevier County may be able to win the region, but it could also miss out on the playoffs entirely. Central and Carter are the teams that threaten to make that a reality. Here are the scenarios for each team to make the playoffs:
- The Smoky Bears clinch a playoff berth with a victory over Carter.
- The Bobcats make the playoffs with a victory over Gibbs and a Sevier County loss.
- The Hornets make the playoffs with a victory over Sevier County and a Knox Central loss.
- Fulton hosts Oak Ridge with the region championship on the line.
- Soddy Daisy and Walker Valley, two teams who have yet to win a region game, face off for the final playoff spot in this five-team region.
- Grainger clinches the final playoff spot in the region with a victory over Union County or a Sullivan East loss to Greeneville.
- The region’s final two playoff spots are still up for grabs between Sequoyah, East Hamilton and East Ridge. Here are how those final two spots can be claimed:
- The Cherokees reaches the playoffs with a victory over Anderson County or a loss to either East Ridge or East Hamilton.
- The Pioneers claim a spot with a victory over winless Hixson or an East Hamilton loss.
- The Hurricanes can get in with a win over Howard and an East Ridge loss. They also grab the region’s final spot if they finish in three-way tie with Sequoyah and East Ridge, due to a head-to-head victory over the Cherokees.
- Alcoa hosts Austin-East with the region championship on the line.
- Red Bank hosts Loudon in a matchup that decides who will be crowned region championship.
- CAK hosts Boyd Buchanan in a duel for the final playoff spot in the East Region.
Here is a list of region championships that have already been decided:
Knoxville Catholic, Region 4-5A
Greeneville, Region 1-4A
Anderson County, Region 2-4A
Meigs County, Region 2-2A
Greenback, Region 2-2A
Notre Dame, Division II-AA
Friendship Christian, Division II-A